Tuesday, April 9, 2013

HiggiE's 365 PK Challenge: Webster Progression to Inwards: Week 14

Webster Progression to Inwards: Week 14

By Eric Higgins

Hey everybody. I hope you have had some great training this week. I have. Since I've been outside more I have been able to move away from doing stationary workouts in the basement to more cardio movement exercise which are more technique oriented. Part of how I have been working out is the topic of discussion this week. I've concentrate some of my workout time on learning new tricks.

This week I will be showing my progression from websters to inwards. In the year before I started my 365 day challenge I really began to push my limits on doing these kinds of moves. I began doing websters more and more and just recently moved into doing inwards.

Here is some reference footage.



A Webster is a form of front flip however in a webster you take off with your feet separated. One foot which is further forward is used to push up and jump off of, while the other leg is thrown up behind you contributing to upward motion and tucking rotation. The take off is like a skip , then there is the tuck and flip. There are a few different ways you can use your arms to get more height and better rotation. I throw my arms in front of me and up, while some people throw there arms back and up. Ether works... However when transitioning to an inward I find it best to throw my arms up and forward. See my accompanying video for a visual representation.

An inward is where you take the same front flip motion and do it with a step off a vertical surface coming out and away from the wall. but having your rotation rolling you towards the wall. Other names might be implosion, or looser. I learned how to do inwards from my websters. I slowly progressed from doing them on flat ground, to doing it off a step, to doing them off and inclined surface. Slowly from there I began to learn to come backwards in my movement doing the inward. This was a long process with lots of repetition over time.

While I was at school training the other day I began getting a true inward, I first found a good rock to do normal websters on. The rock had a good incline to it, and I began working on the inward motion. Eventually I moved to a pillar near by, the pillar was completely vertical, so I worked on getting websters off. the pillar was nice because I had the convenience of flipping off to one side so I did not have to worry about hitting it. Eventually I began doing the inward more straight and pure. I'm still not the most comfortable with inwards but I know I can do them.

I have learned some tips over time in getting websters better. When I do inwards I throw my arms up to get lots of height. I have also found that if I throw my leg up really well I can get good height too. I as well as others have noticed that In my rotation coming over my head I am still traveling up in the air. This gives my Webster's and inwards the impression of floating which I think is cool.

One reason why it took me so long to learn this progression from webster to Inward is because I have been learning how to Webster and Inward of both feet. It wasn't hard really. The hardest has been getting the skip stepping motion of the Webster off my right foot. I still have a hard time getting that good; skip, step, jump, motion off my right foot to be able to transition from a run to jump. I will get it with more training and practice.

Till next week, when I try to break down my round-offs as we jump into more tricking moves in the coming weeks. Good training and safe journeys.

-HiggiE