Monday, April 1, 2013

HiggiE's 365 PK Challenge: Technical Trick Training : Week 13


Technical Trick Training: Week 13

By Eric Higgins

One of the reasons I have decided to train everyday this year is to get myself to a higher level of difficulty in my ability to do different tricks of parkour. The reason I wanted to blog my experience is so there would be a good resource for myself and for others to be able to use in parkour training. I want to document all the progress I make this year with different information and techniques which I find helpful to the specific movement. This will be a valuable recourse for others so they can learn a good way to progress.


If you are not at my level learn form the example I set for how to learn new movement. It might sound funny when I say my intention is to help others to learn how to learn to Progress. Basically this means that I want you to learn how your body and mind work the best so that you can learn new stuff in parkour. Whether it be on your own or through others. I plan on trying to develop different techniques for learning and training as I go so that you guys can see different ways to learn. These are some ideas I have come up with on how to best learn something new.

Break it down into its individual parts.
This is the best way I have found in learning new tricks. Breaking it down to its smaller parts helps me to understand the movement. You can do this by looking at the movement in lots of smaller parts.


Work up to the trick.
I will often work my way up to the final trick. Your mind and body work off of what they already know and understand. They build anon what is already there. When I first started parkour I wanted to re-learn a standing back-flip. I knew I had done it in the past but there was a barrier of coming back over my head. I decided I would first start by doing a back hand spring. Eventually I overcame that fear because I worked up to the final outcome.


Force yourself into it.
This should be used as one of the last resorts. I use this when I know I can do something but mentally I cant. Forcing yourself into it is when you just go for whatever movement you are accomplishing. When I result to this I make sure I wont get hurt in any serious way. I will more than likely crash and burn but I try to have safety's in place for minimal risk. This works well if you are working up to a trick and you just need to break some basic barriers. an example with a simple trick might be with a simple back flip. The goal might be to do one standing on normal ground level. However one step to one on ground level is doing it in a foam pit. Many people are still afraid to go into the pit. At this level a way to force yourself into it is to just go for it because then you would be landing in a pile of foam. I want to advise again only to do this in the safest of circumstances and confidence.


Learn from a Teacher or Peer.
This is a great way to learn. I had to rely on many of my peers in the beginning when I started parkour. There were no teachers at the time. Now that I have become a teacher of parkour classes I find the value in this kind of resource. Teachers have tips that only come from experience. Since they have paved the way for themselves and also other student they know what to do and what not to do.


There are many different tricks and types of movement in parkour. I want to look beyond the basic moves like vaults and under bars. I am talking about the more technical side of parkour like all the flips, twists, drops, and reverses.

A little bit about myself and the training I've resembled so far. I tend to be more conservative when I learn something new. I break the move down and l progress in it slowly. I really believe repetition is key to really getting something down. building upon what I already have. This practice allows me time to learn better, as well it allows me to learn it in a ambidextrous form. I learn everything both directions. this allows me to be more versatile plus i find it fun and challenging to push myself in this way.

Next week I will be showing my progression into webters and inwards.

-HiggiE