Wednesday, March 27, 2013

HiggiE's 365 PK Challenge: Safety and Disclaimer : Week 12

Safety and Disclaimer: Week 12
By Eric Higgins

To start off this weeks information, I need to say that Parkour can be dangerous. This is my disclaimer of the Week. My intention in writing this blog is to help others find a way to learn how to progress in their own movement. I plan on showing progression while I progress in my way. But this is my warning for the time being, parkour if not worked on in repetition and without proper discipline can result in injury. I'm NOT only talking about injury in a single instance, but injury over a period of time to your muscle, bone, and ligament structures.


As a Precaution as well there are some thing's I have seen people do which are not even worth doing when it comes to parkour. Do not break the law to be able to do parkour. Do not tress-pass. Also there are some things I have seen people do which are ridiculous to even try because of the possibility of something beyond your control going wrong which could result in major catastrophe. I'm talking about movement at extreme heights and distances. These moves should not be attempted because of the high risk.
There are some things you should do to be safer at parkour. No matter what level you are training, even if you are at an advanced level, there are some tips and trick which should be looked into before any Jam or Training session. I want to Talk about this because my focus for the rest of the year is now on a more technical side of parkour.

Check Surfaces.
It is important to check all surfaces you will be handling. Make sure your shoes will get sufficient grip and that you know which surfaces might move on you or break. I have personal reasons for doing this whenever I jam. I am constantly reminded by my family to be safe at what I do. I have a cousin who is now paralyzed from the waist down due to an injury loosely related to parkour. He did not do parkour but being a boy he thought it cool that he could do a wall-flip. He was practicing one day on a wall which had grass at the bass of it. After doing it a few he went for another and slipped on the wall because the grass was a little wet and the moisture got on his shoe. He ended up coming down on the back of his neck. He layed there until someone came to help. It is better to make precautions because the risk diminishes.

If you Can't do it Don't try.
Parkour is about overcoming obstacles and barriers. Sometimes there are moves which I would like to try but I do not do it because I have not even worked them. often there are moves that are similar to others and to this I say go ahead. This really only comes when I do not feel confident in accomplishing a move.

Don't Be Tired.
Many times I have seen people get injured because they begin to get tired. Be aware to your own energy levels and ability to concentrate. I know that when I get tired after a long day of training I begin to get sloppy and my judgement isn't as keen.

Train for Perfection.
What I mean by this is to train with the purpose of getting better so that you are confident in any movement. Also so that your skill level is good enough for you to be able to adapt your style of movements to any environment as well as learn new movements in those environments. Perfection really only comes with lots of practice, repetition and experience.

I'm sure there are other ways to star safe in parkour, but these are the precautions I usually take. Send me some ideas if I missed anything. These kind of precautions are important and should not be overlooked, because parkour cab be dangerous.

Train safe and work hard.

HiggiE-