Tuesday, November 25, 2014

30 Day Parkour Challenge: Training and Conditioning: Week 3


Week 3 of my November PK Challenge I concentrated on Training and Conditioning aspect of parkour. Conditioning is one of the basics of parkour. Like I stated last week it is probably one of the least developed part of most athletes basics. For me conditioning has always been something I do but usually lightly. All month Ive been doing different forms of conditioning but I have concentrated on climb-ups the most trying to get my arms stronger...


As I went out to condition for parkour I kept in mind to try and develop these kinds of things: There are all sorts of ways to develop and implement these into a workout.

-Power
-Control
-Repetition
-Efficiency
-Inefficiency

One thing I have noticed is that there are different strains on my body from all the working out. Ive been eating more craving more protein filled foods and sleeping a little more. My arms and legs are sore from all the strain.  

Conditioning can be fun and rewarding but it all depends on how you go about it. Ive tried to make conditioning a fun activity, there are a few ways to do it. It always helps to have friends who can challenge you and help you out with ideas. My favorite kinds of workouts involve gauntlet style travel workouts, where you make your way around a course or through a series and at certain obstacles you do something whether it be arms legs or core developing something from th list above. Ill usually repeat the course 3 times depending on the size of the series. Sometimes my workout include all parts of the body and other times i concentrate on just a specific muscel group or type of movement. (Ex. Climb-ups or Arms)

Here are some Resources:

On the evolution of Demon Drills: This is a little explanation I found about Demon Drills from Ryan Ford at the PK Visions Facility in Seattle. http://youtu.be/Qb4Dn2K_QxY


Ryan Fords Channel: There is lots of good stuff. Ive pulled a few of the play-lists and given you links down below. https://www.youtube.com/user/DemonDrillsPK Drills and Games
http://youtu.be/wU2mqdq9f7o?list=PLB5F29A20F89A371EBeginner PK workouts
http://youtu.be/bv2v8lXOgv8?list=PLDFBC23BD531B290FAdvanced PK workouts
http://youtu.be/gstPCo7m7yk?list=PL8F72AE7CBB8DB21F

Conditioning Drills for Ideas From Hawaii Parkour.http://youtu.be/j9LFDM3AmAk?list=PLBEEA8D804EA91F99


I watched a lot of these Playlists during the week. I didn't go out training specifically to try and do the things I saw in these videos, but I used them as inspiration. I got a lot of ideas that I could implement into my own parkour workouts. 

Conditioning pk for me is more about utilizing a specific space to get a good workout. Utilizing movement for a workout instead of doing the workout. Its like in doing parkour in general; the main goal isn't to go out and find places to do specific movements but to go and move in different environments no matter what is there and to create obstacles in the environment that you can move in around. 

If you are in the Utah Area. My friend Jacob C. has been doing a Saturday Workout Session at the SLCC Redwood Campus at 11 AM each Saturday for the Winter. Its cheep to get in and a great way to meet others, get a workout in, Learn about Fitness, and ask questions. 

Have fun getting out this winter and conditioning your own parkour. 

Eric Higgins