Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Salt Lake Fitcon 2016 Ninja Warrior Experience [With Video]


Check out some rough footage from the SLC Fitcon ninja warrior course, plus my experience of the event.

When my friend Jake asked if I wanted to attend Fitcon this year and I found out it would be a fun opportunity, I had to jump on the chance to participate. The big seller for me was the massive ninja warrior course being put together by Moxie Fitness Equipment. They put together an impressive course that we as participants threw ourselves through.

The convention was held on a Friday and Saturday. With Saturday being the day for the ninja warrior competition. They would take the 10 fastest competitors from the 2 days and have them compete for prizes which the top 5 would get.

On Friday Jake and I went to test out the course. He was able to finish the whole course while I wore myself out and couldn't get a finishing time. The fastest times from some of the other participants was around 1:30.



Our friend Brett told us he would come with us the next day. He, Jake and I were the only guys there who were parkour athletes, and we picked up the course pretty quick. Many people struggled at the slack line and other parts. The issue I had on the Friday was my arm strength wasn't keeping up. I wore myself trying to rotate the Dice Tumbler and that made me shot for the rest of the night. I was more aware of how often I ran the course on Saturday, making sure I had the finger and arm strength to finish.

This was footage from some of our fastest runs on Saturday

My first Run on Saturday I completed it in around 2:20. As more guys ran the course we figured out ways to improve time and make the course easier. One big part was jumping to pass up much of the Ladder Climb. Also sliding the Dice Tumbler instead of rolling it like it is meant to be done in the show. Each time I ran the course I improved my time, by making the run in general cleaner and more efficient. I got 2:07, then 1:28. (See the footage of this run in the video) I found that Running the course faster was actually easier. This because I was not on the course for as long, and couldn't get as worn out. The 1:28 time got my in the top 10. It also got me tied with Brett and another competitor with the same times. If one of us was still in the 10th position we would all compete in the finals.


As the time neared the 4:00 competition I decided to hop back in line just in case I was butted off the board. There was still a line full of people trying to get on and eventually we at 1:28 were kicked off by faster times. I had one more chance to try and get back on the board. I was able to run through 2 seconds faster getting me tied for 10 place, who had also jumped in line like I did just in case he was knocked out. Because I had tied him and not passed him he did not have to run again, he and I were some of the last to be in line.

For the finals, the Moxie crew modified the course and added certain rules to make it more difficult for us. Instead of the ropes and punching bag, they had hanging rock climbing holds. They also made the rules that we had to keep our feet on the spider wall up above a certain point. Also on the Ladder and Cliff Hanger we had to touch each obstacle. They put tape down on the metal frame supporting the Dice Tumbler making us have to rill it instead of sliding it.

The 2 chances I had to go in the finals I fell on the rock holds after the slack line, then again at the Cliff Hanger. I had run the course many times that day and was super beat. Over all it was fun, and I enjoyed the competition.

This was my first time going to a convention that was for the public. It seems that in the last few years all sorts of different conventions have been happening in The Salt Lake Area like Comic Con, CVX Live and others. This was the 2nd year for FitCon to be held. Back in the day I had opportunities to go to the Outdoor Retailers Convention which is an event for retailers, companies and the media kinda like E3. The Vibe is different. People at the Booths are pushing their products more.

At Fitcon there were lots people selling different types of fitness and health food and supplements. I'm not into it, but I enjoyed watching the Arial Silks competition and the Slacklinning Competition and participating in The Ninja Warrior Course.

As a bonus I got to hang out with and help my friends from the Circus and Arial Arts Gym called Aerobatics, which is located in Draper. there were some other cool booths we visited.

Maybe next year with some good training I'll do better.

Eric Higgins